Saturday June 16 2018
- 11.45–13.30Lunch Tours
- WALKING TOUR: Dwellings in Tallinn Old Town
Medieval merchants’ dwellings are considered to be representative of Tallinn Old Town. The dwellings changed remarkably after the golden era of the Hanseatic League in 15th century Tallinn. New windows were carved into the pointed gables, and modern colourful details were added and facades remodelled by several wealthy townsmen. The most radical changes were made in the 16th to 18th centuries in the courtyards and in the interior of the dwellings: the living quarters were made wider by adding rooms towards the street and the courtyard, the entire living space became more functional, the rooms became lighter, more comfortable, beautiful and richly furnished. The city was constantly changing through its buildings, even though the street network largely remained the same. The tour focuses on the most notable and well-preserved dwellings of wealthy citizens of Tallinn in the 15th to 18th centuries.
- WALKING TOUR: Three Churches in Tallinn Old Town
This tour will focus on three churches representing the different periods and social strata in Tallinn Old Town. The Church of the Holy Spirit was first recorded in 1319 and originally founded as part of the neighbouring Holy Spirit Almshouse. The two-aisled church is small compared to other medieval churches in Tallinn, and throughout medieval times it remained the primary church of the common folk. The most noteworthy detail in the exterior is the finely carved clock by Christian Ackermann (1684). The treasures inside include the carved and painted winged altarpiece (1483) by Berndt Notke, the pulpit (1597) and the paintings on the galleries (17th–18th c.).
St. Olaf’s Church was first recorded in its present location in 1330, and the present shape and size probably date from the 15th century. The interior is significant for the great height of the nave (31 m) and the stellar vaults of the chancel. The historicist interior decoration that followed the old Gothic style dates back to the restoration of 1820–1840, following the fire of 1820 that devastated the church.
The original building on the site of the present-day Church of the Transfiguration of Our Lord (1732) was built in the 13th century and was a part of medieval Cistercian St. Michael’s Abbey for nuns that closed in 1629. After the Northern War, the church served as the cathedral of the Russian Orthodox denomination from 1716 until the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral was built in Toompea in 1900. The icon screen – iconostasis – from 1732 by Ivan Zarudny is one of the oldest extant iconostases in the country.
- BUS TOUR: Soviet Postmodernism: Linnahall Concert Hall and the Small Coastal Gate Bastion
The tour focuses on two different unusual structures – artificial landscapes rather than buildings – built in Tallinn in the late 1970s and 1980s. Both represent the specific features of local postmodern architecture that emerged in contact with Tallinn Old Town. The Linnahall Concert Hall (architects Raine Karp, Riina Altmäe, built 1975–1980) on the seafront was built for the 1980 Moscow Olympic Yachting Regatta in Tallinn. Although monumental in scale, the building was kept low to allow for the views that open from Tallinn bay to the Old Town. The roof of Linnahall functioned as a public space, enabling access to the seafront, which had been a closed area in central Tallinn for most of the Soviet period. The reconstruction (architect Kalle Rõõmus, built 1979–86) of the 17th century Small Coastal Gate Bastion that was demolished in 1867 represents the retrospective face of postmodern architecture. Built for the Tallinn Old Town Housing Authority, the complex contains administrative rooms, as well as workshops and a sports centre. Its inner courtyard with neo-historicist and playful symbols is masked on the outside as a bastion with blind limestone walls and a grass roof.
- BUS TOUR: The Kopli peninsula and Russian Baltic Shipyard (1913)
The Russo-Baltic Shipyard (architect Aleksandr Dmitriyev, 1913) on the Kopli peninsula is a remarkable industrial complex of the early 20th century. In addition to immense docks and shipbuilding basins, a number of production buildings, the main building and an extensive factory settlement for the members of management as well as workers was constructed together with a service network (hospital, fire department, police station, church.). In the 1920s and 1930s, efforts were made to turn the workers’ residential area into a contemporary, well-ordered district. Kopli gained a modern community centre and a school. Today, the original, integrally planned structure of the factory settlement is decaying to a great extent.
- BUS TOUR: Kadriorg Palace (1718-1725) and Park
The construction of the Kadriorg Palace was started by Tsar Peter the Great of Russia in 1718. It was named Kadriorg (Catharinenthal) in honour of his wife, Catherine I. The palace was designed by the Italian architect Nicola Michetti, and its abundantly decorated main hall is one of the best-known examples of Baroque architecture in Estonia. In the 1930s, the palace was the residence of the Head of State of the Estonian Republic. During that period, extensions to the palace were added, such as the banquet hall and orangery, and many rooms were redecorated. The palace served as the main building of the Art Museum of Estonia from 1946–1991. After thorough restoration works, the palace was re-opened in 2000 as the Kadriorg Art Museum, which displays old Russian and Western European art.
- WALKING TOUR: Dwellings in Tallinn Old Town